Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chanel No.5 ( Historial typography reused in contemporary design)


Two weeks ago, a friend and I was walking around Chinatown, D.C. As as we were passing a store window, which had a big bottle of Chanel perfume on display. You would think I would pay attention to the big bottle of perfume, but I paid a attention to the choice of typeface. When you think about it Chanel has been in business since the early 1900's. They have never changed there logo for there Chanel No.5. Which was interesting to me, because this is an old typeface which is considered to be historical and mainly used in many forms. This typeface is a simple sans serif, but this typeface has been a hallmark for elegance for Chanel No.5 product.



2 comments:

kb said...

I was curious and Googled to find out what typeface is used by Coco Chanel - but the one thing I found said it was Avant Garde Gothic, which was not designed until the 1970s. So I don't think that is it... thought it does look very similar.

Their font works wonderfully though, it's decades old and still looks fresh.

Kaiya2785 said...

Thank you for the info, that gives me more insight on the design.